From:
Carl David Lehr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Oct 2005 17:06:37 -0400
My wife and I started out this year w/ 3 nucs and now have 3 flourishing
colonies.  Since our bees had to draw out foundation for these colonies (and
because most of our blossoms were knocked off by hard rains), local
beekeepers didn't have much of a honey crop, comparatively speaking.  So we
decided to feed sugar syrup (1:1) all summer with the express intent on
drawing as much comb as possible in preparation for next years nectar flow.

Blunder #1: Although our bees have drawn 122 medium and 70 deep frames of
comb; we now have "sugar syrup honey" in about 60 medium frames that we're
not sure what to do with.  Will we be able to feed all this sugar syrup
honey back to them next spring during build-up; or are we going to be stuck?
We've thought of extracting it but it seems crazy to do that.  Please help
if you can.
Blunder #2: Somehow we didn't clearly understand that we were only supposed
to feed one (1) pollen substitute patty per colony per season and now our
bees have filled a significant amount of our deep frames with pollen
substitute.  Our concern is that they're going to need that drawn comb for
their brood chamber or for their winter feed.  HELP!!!  Can we use some
particular bee management technique to get them to "move the pollen" up into
a medium honey super and out of their brood chamber?  Any help you could
provide these 1st year, inexperienced, New-bee, beekeepers would be greatly
appreciated.  Our attempts to get help from the local beekeepers association
were met with laughs and giggles but no real help.  Please help if you can.
We really didn't mean to screw things up our first year and don't want our
bees to suffer because of our mistakes.  Thanks in advance.  Sincerely, Dave