From:
Randy Oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Oct 2006 22:51:43 -0400
Bob Harrison wrote:  Can the stressed Midwest colonies be brought up to
grading standards in time, can each unit be rented and can the huge Adee
machine find enough cash flow to last until almond brokers pay up.

Hi Bob,

I didn't mean any offense with the "older than dirt" crack  :)  I, for one,
really appreciate your contacts and experience.  I'll be the first to admit
that I'm the world's worst businessman, and a second rate beekeeper.  You
big guys are in another league, and I really am in awe of the businesses you
sucessfully run!

That said, if the shortage is as severe as it looks, growers will be less
picky about strength toward the start of bloom.

I have only a short haul, yet I combine any weak colonies, so I can charge a
premium on fewer loads.  Labor intensive, yes.  The big boys will have to
see if the trade off of labor at home vs. freight to haul empty boxes both
ways is worth it.

My guess is that each unit will be rented, but have a signed, legal,
contract first.  You're too far away for handshakes any more.  One ace in
the hole for you is that the growers' crop insurance companies are requiring
two colonies per acre to insure the nut crop!  The growers need the bees.

We're trying to give the growers out here the message that a shortage is in
the works.  The Almond Board is hearing us.  A suggestion:  some of us
locals give a discount for a portion of, or full payment up front.  This is
a huge trust issue between the grower and the beekeeper.  A history together
helps a lot.  It will be a hard sell if you don't.

Here's a wild suggestion off the top of my head.  Any chance of posting a
"performance bond" that you will supply x number of colonies at a certain
strength by a certain date?  In that case, you could demand payment up
front, secured by the bond.

As far as beetle inspection, just head for the southern counties that don't
care, and certify your loads for fire ant.

We Californians feel your pain about the drought, and wish you the best of luck!

Randy Oliver