From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jul 2005 20:07:52 -0400
[log in to unmask] wrote:

> The colony was located in the wall of a house and the owner sprayed
> liquid Seven into the opening. I assume everything was contaminated. I
> only wondered about the 'non-residue' description of Sevin. Does it
> disintegrate into harmless components after a period of time?

I have not seen the data that says it is non-residue, since it is there
for some time after spraying. Non-residue is just that, nothing is left
after spraying, sort of like electrical contact cleaner. It is highly
volatile and soon gone (generally a couple of days is the outside limit).

Sevin is a persistent pesticide. Plenty in the literature that says
that. My own observations confirm that, since I can see it after I spray
the squash leaves.

It is typical of many pesticides in that the half life listed is only
when it is used used according to directions. You do not have that here.
Sevin breaks down in sunlight and alkaline soils fairly quickly, but
here you have darkness and an acidic liquid (honey), both conducive to
extending the half life of Sevin. And if the "applier" is like many home
owners, the necessary amount needed was probably greatly exceeded.

Under ideal conditions the half life can be just a few days on the plant
but two to four weeks in the soil around the plant. And remember, we are
speaking only of having half of it around after that amount of time. It
takes another period to get to 1/4 then 1/8th etc. so to get to 1/16
left could be as long as 4 months when used properly!

 From a health point of view, there is probably not great danger in
using either the honey or wax since Sevin is not an extremely dangerous
pesticide. But why chance it and expose anyone to possible health problems?

I would not think of using any honey or wax that had been sprayed with
it. Just add the PR problems of Sevin found in honey and it is just not
worth it. From a removal perspective, there is little danger removing
the wax and honey, even if you did so right after the spray, not because
it decomposes but because it is not in the very dangerous category. Just
used rubber gloves and wash up afterwards. A respirator wouldn't hurt.

As far as how long it can be around, there will be some around for a
long time. Under the circumstances you described, I can only guess since
the amount sprayed may be three to five times the amount needed, and
even if it has decomposed by half, there may still be a lot there. Add
the fact that it is more stable in an acidic environment (honey),  it
may be many months or even a year before you get to a "safe" low level.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine