From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Mar 2013 14:28:55 -0800
>Hopguard is an organic acid as is Oxalic, so is there any great difference

> between them as an effective spring treatment (knockdown of overwinter
> mites)?

Bill, although the two are both "acids," they are not remotely comparable
in mode of action or application.  Efficacy is similar, with the OA dribble
being more effective.  I've sent off an article on a controlled trial of
the two that I ran in nucs to soon appear in ABJ.

> >What is the best spring treatment, if the mentioned ones are not as good?

The short story is that in a broodless colony in spring, I obtained the
best results with OA dribble, compared to one Hopguard strip to 5 frames of
bees.  One might obtain better results if Hopguard were applied at twice
that rate, but I didn't test.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA