From:
Dave Cushman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Oct 2005 09:52:20 +0100
Hi all

Murray McGregor wrote:

> 2. They are generally not small bees. Perhaps you have a local ecotype
> there that is small enough to get in the louvres, but here they would be
> the bees least likely to get in there.

I refrained from posting in the first place, because the description of
the black bees being 'small' ruled out AMM as a possibility, but there
is a small form of AMM that occurs very rarely, certainly less than one
colony in 500 and probably a good deal rarer than that.

I have come across a couple of examples myself and Beo Cooper talked to
me about a few examples in the Lincolnshire area of UK. In general this
small strain has some sort of problem and may only be just a degenerate
form. I have seen identical degenerate bees that were derived from
Buckfast bees.

The small form is so rare that it would be impossible to give
behavioural characteristics, but they could not be described as aggressive.

Regards & Best 73s, Dave Cushman, G8MZY
http://website.lineone.net/~dave.cushman or http://www.dave-cushman.net
Short FallBack M/c, Build 6.02/3.1 (stable)