From:
Michael W Stoops <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Dec 2000 09:17:56 -0500
> In a message dated 12/22/00 8:56:45 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> [log in to unmask] writes:
>
>> Could you talk a little more about the heat exhaustion you talk about when
>>  moving hives.  I'll be moving hive in the summer too and have not heard
>>  anyone talk about heat exhaustion yet.

Note also that once you experience heat exhaustion you become a LOT more
susceptable to a reoccurance.  As mentioined in the previous post,
prevention is of paramount importance.  Really super hydrate your body
beforehand.  Drink so much water that you have to urinate at least twice in
the morning and twice in the afternoon.  And, you don't really have to use
electrolyte solutions if you superhydrate beforehand.

My experience comes from my National Guard experiences on active duty for
training in the field at Fort Hood, Texas in late June - mid July for a
number of years.  Most of our heat casualties occured just from
servicemembers not acclimated to the high heat not concuming large enough
quantities of water beforehand and during the exercise.  After two summers
of high heat incidents, the command insisted on copious water consumption
and heat realted injuries dropped to almost nothing.  Those that did occur
again seemed to be the result of the servicemember not hydrating enough
beforehand.

Mike Stoops   Staff Sergeant  Texas Army National Guard  (at the time)