From:
The Inglenook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jul 2006 20:18:34 -0400
For the past 5 days or so, I have been dealing with, what appears to be, some very aggressive
robber bees. Admittedly, the hive is weak and has been slow getting up to speed, and as far as I
know this hive is the only one in about a five mile radius of suburbia. So I'm assuming that the
robber bees are feral.
This past Saturday morning I found my bees (Italians with yellow and black striped abdomens)
doing battle with robber bees (upper half of abdomen yellow, lower half black). I immediately
reduced the entrance down to one bee width, smoked the front, and threw a wet sheet over the
hive. Sunday there was still some activity around the sides of the sheet, so I left it on, rewetting it
occasionally. By Monday morning things seemed back to normal, the sheet has been on for over
two days, so I took the sheet off. By late in the day the robber bees were back. That night I
constructed a bee screen and attached it to the front. On Tuesday morning it appeared that the
screen was working, not too many bees leaving the hive, but a lot of robber bees around the sides
and bouncing off the screen. By that afternoon the robber bees had found out how to get through
the slot at the top of the screen and the bees were doing battle behind the screen in front of the
entrance. I smoked the entrance again, left the screen in place and put the wet sheet back on.
Wednesday morning, things look normal. Some dead soldiers in front, but I don't see any guard
bees, so now I become concerned that they may have given up (which I understand from my
reading up on this, is a possiblity). I take off the sheet, leave the screen.
I don't get a chance to look at it again until this afternoon, and I find that the robber bees are back
just as strong as the first day, and they're behind the screen doing battle again. I put a bar across
the top of the screen so there's no way in or out, but still ventilation (there's still a covered hivetop
feeder in place, so there's food available).  I'm just amazed, they're out there right now, IN THE
RAIN, looking for a way in.
I've been afraid to open the hive with the robber bees around thinking that it could make things
worse. I've never spilled any syrup when filling the feeder several weeks ago; I can't think of any
reason they would end up at this hive to rob. I'm at a loss as to what to do. Any suggestions from
vast array of knowledge out there?
-George