From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 30 Sep 2008 08:09:41 -0400
When I was an inspector in NYS we once visited yards of a highly-respected
beekeeper.  A person making their living from beekeeping, active in local
and national groups, and in his 70's.  Running, with help, almost 1,500
hives.

These hives were treated with antibiotics early every year, but dozens would
be found with active stage in the fall.  No burning, ever.  Frames were
loaded with scale. In one yard I pointed out the scale and the Senior
Inspector said it was my imagination!  He subsequently told the beekeeper
"Lloyd thought he saw scale, but I talked him out of it".  It was made very
clear to me that if we were to burn the hives with scale (in NYS as a
whole), there would be very few commercial beekeepers left!

A few weeks thereafter, with that experience and a few other equally
unsatisfactory experiences behind me, I quit, but not before telling the
Director that he "should be certain he knew exactly what was going on in the
field, and I choose to think you are unaware of much of what is going on."
He apparently did not follow up, and a few years later some of what was
going on became known and the program was devastated for a year or so.

An interesting point is that the beekeeper who was 'protected' (mentioned
above) is one of those most opposed to any inspection program in the state.
Perhaps he figures money is bring spent to no avail.  Do you think?

Lloyd

--
Lloyd Spear
Owner Ross Rounds, Inc.