Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 1999 07:55:09 -0700
After reviewing the subject forwarded by Dick Allen regarding HIP
(Honeybee Improved Program) bees, I'm wondering if anyone knows how bees
can live through mites via genetics?

Do they have a cleanliness trait which clues them into picking out and
disposing of infested larvae?  Does excessive propolis (New World
Carniolans for example) make it harder for mites to propagate?  What
other possibilities are there for bees keeping mites at bay without
human intervention?

While each summer I'm investing a great deal of time pulling out
surviving feral hives, I'm becoming increasingly at-odds with the logic
on why these bees are still alive.  How much am I investing in 'chance'?

How much are you?

Matthew Westall - Castle Rock, CO

PS - I medicate all feral bees once hived.