From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Mar 2009 18:14:28 -0000
Mike:

> This may be a stupid question but what is the legal difference between
> 'straining' and 'filtering'? My dictionary lists those as synonyms.

You are quite right.  It is not the words that matter, but the effect on the
honey.  Our regulations define filtered honey as:
'honey obtained by removing foreign inorganic or organic matters in such a
way as to result in the significant removal of pollen'.   The can also be
done by running honey through a very fine straining cloth, provided that the
honey is warm and there is no granulation.

So it is the mesh size of the 'filter' or 'strainer' that is significant.
Removing pollen is seen (correctly in my view) as degrading the product so
that it can no longer be described just as 'honey' - it has to be described
as 'filtered honey' and is placed in a similar class to 'baker's honey'
(which is inferior because it has a high level of HMF).

Of course, the regulations do not suggest an appropriate mesh size - neither
do they define 'significant'!  That, as our politicians always say when they
have not thought legislation through properly, would be a matter for the
courts to decide.
Best wishes

Peter Edwards
beekeepers at stratford-upon-avon.freeserve.co.uk