Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Dec 2011 18:48:20 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
Karen wrote"Not bee related-" but I think there is a lesson here for beekeepers.

EAB( and other tree pests like Asian Longhorneed Beetle and Hemlock Wooly Adelgid) are recent importations from the far east,just like Varroa.This is the price we pay for a global society.

Pheromone traps,predatory wasps and,yes,even Imidacloprid, are,like alcohol washes,VSH bees and Apistan,  important tools in a IPM strategy.

I would rather see my tax dollars go to tree and bee research,which benefits local small businesses,than to Wall St.

And Bob,don't worry about the miniscule amount of systemics in trees(maybe the maples in Worcester MA excepted).Commercial agriculture and suburban lawncare are by far the largest users.

EAB is 60 mi.to the west of me and will soon be here(CT).The predatory wasp is a more reliable indicator of EAB pesence  than the pheromone traps but requires a higher skill level.The wasp prefers bare ground and is a native,preying on native insects( related to EAB)  and,ironically,is often found on baseball diamonds.

Beekeeping is my hobby but I make my living with trees,even dead ones.I just wish trees had the reproductive rate of bees.As Melanie implies,the bees will survive if we only would let them.

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

Guidelines for posting to BEE-L can be found at:
http://honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/guidelines.htm

ATOM RSS1 RSS2