Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 2010 09:28:15 -0600
I seem to recall that pasteurization does not inactivate the spores causing
botulism reliably, so I Googled it.

"Prevention of botulism is based on good food preparation (particularly
preservation) practices and hygiene. Botulism may be prevented by
inactivation of the bacterial spores in heat-sterilized, canned products or
by inhibiting growth in all other products. Commercial heat pasteurization
(vacuum packed pasteurized products, hot smoked products) may not be
sufficient to kill all spores and therefore safety of these products must be
based on preventing growth and toxin production...

From http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs270/en/

As I recall, babies digestion systems provide an ideal growth medium for the
spores, whereas older people are more inhospitable.  Botulism in older
individuals comes from consuming the toxin produced in contaminated and
unsafely stored foods.  In babies, the spores develop internally.