From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Mar 2002 13:33:02 -0700
Having had several very interesting discussions with a lot of good input
from many sources -- and some surprising answers -- I am going to ask
another question to which I think I know some answers, but to which I may
not know all I need to know:

What is the best way to melt broken frames -- other than a solar melter?  Is
it in a steam cabinet, a hot room, or by immersion in near-boiling water?
Or is it by some other method?  Should a person cut the combs out to melt
them or just work with the whole frame?  What are the tricks of the
business?

1.) In the first case, let's assume that the object is to save as much of
the wax in as clean a form as possible, but that any honey is going to be
lost.

2.) In the second, let's assume there is a lot of good honey in the broken
frames.  How can we best get the honey and wax separated and salvaged with
the least damage?  (This is where I suspect the solar melter is the number
one choice)

I realise that we have discussed some aspects of all this before, so am
hoping that we will get some new ideas and reveal some of the more subtle
points that make the difference between just doing the job and doing it
well.

For those who want to brush up on old discussions,
http://www.internode.net/honeybee/BEE-L/ is a good place to start.

allen
http://www.internode.net/HoneyBee/Diary/