From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 15 Sep 1997 17:27:59 -0700
Patricia Elkins wrote:

> Hi All,
> I'd like to start beekeeping sometime in the near future.
> Could some beginning beekeepers comment on what they
> see as the average cost of a new operation?  It seems to me
> that beekeeping will turn out to be a very expensive hobby
> if it costs $500+ just to start learning from your mistakes!

It should run from 150-400, depending on how elaborate you get.
But put it in perspective. If you bought a dog or cat, it would cost
from nothing to 500 or even more. Plus the cost of feeding, vet costs,
housebreaking, walking it, kennel costs etc.. make it a much more
expensive undertaking. If expense was the main concern in keeping a dog
or cat, no one would keep them.
Most all hobbies cost money, some more than others. Plus, you can still
recoup about half your equipment costs if you give it up.
Listen to the enjoyment you hear from the beekeepers on this list and
you will see that it is worth it.
Bill Truesdell
Bath, ME