From:
James Morton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Feb 1997 13:08:35 -0500
Message text written by Discussion of Bee Biology
>Recently there was a post by someone using linseed oil on their hives.  I
got the impression that it was used on the inside of the hive as well as
the outside.  I would like to find out for sure as I plane to use it on
some Top Bar Hives I'm building.<

I have often used linseed oil on my beehives, both alone and sometimes with
the addition of white-spirit to help it penetrate the wood. Raw (unboiled)
linseed oil hardens quickly in the sun, so the quicker-setting boiled
linseed is not really necessary. Old weathered boxes can absorb quite a bit
into the surface of the wood (which is probably a sign that they need
treatment), but new wood is much less porous, and the oil does not really
penetrate to the same extent.

 My experience is that the oil reduces the absorbtion of water by the hive
and makes it look darker and more attractive - particularly in the case of
the Western Red Cedar hives common here in the UK. I have my doubts whether
it is a particularly effective wood preservative, however, and recently
have used it in on the exterior of hives in conjunction with clear Cuprinol
- a wood fungicide based on Acypetacs zinc.

I know several beekeepers who are so impressed with the virtues of linseed
oil that they treat the outside, inside and even the frames of their hives
with it. It seems almost certain that linseed oil is very safe for bees.

James Morton
London UK