From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Jan 2010 09:15:43 -0800
>google "energy honeycomb humphrey dykes" and then sit back and scratch your
head at the detail

Thanks Greg!  I'm not sure if you were referring to the original paper, or
to the Polish project that followed it, but the free download was
interesting.  I had never considered the thermal benefit of the ring of
pollen around the brood!

>Can anyone supply a figure for the latent heat of fusion for honey?

Greg, I'm not sure that honey actually freezes at temperatures that we deal
with.  However, I think that you are interested in the "heat of solution" or
enthalpy.

Check out the following sites:
http://www.sugartech.co.za/enthalpy/index.php
http://www.nzifst.org.nz/unitoperations/conteqseparation10.htm

I just took a moment in the kitchen to see if the heat of solution of
sucrose was significant.  I found some granulated sugar and some water that
were at the same temperature, and then dissolved sugar in the water until I
made a saturated solution.  Temperature only dropped 1 degree Fahrenheit.
So apparently, it does not take a lot of heat to dissolve sucrose at least
in water.

Randy Oliver