From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 17 Apr 2003 10:49:12 -0400
Roger White observed:

> The antibiotic found in chinese honey is BANNED
> in the EU and has been for many years.  End of story.

The antibiotic was "found" at the very limits of
detection.  The interesting point, ignored by all
concerned, is that the contamination may have
"been there" for years, as only the newest equipment,
combined with very specific techniques, can "find" the
"contamination".

The problem is that a rational person, aware of the
limits of such equipment and methodologies, is forced
to admit that:

a)  Such findings of tiny levels are a probability,
    not an absolute certainty.

b)  A complete list of what OTHER substances are
    "detectable" in honey at the same tiny levels
    might be a very entertaining document, one that
    would undermine the credibility of the claim that
    the honey was "contaminated".  At such low levels,
    it can be argued that one can "find" anything
    one wishes to find.

c)  While the preponderance of the evidence points
    towards a conclusion that the honey was in fact
    contaminated with this specific antibiotic, the
    problem is that the definition of "zero" has
    become much more rigorous with the availability
    of equipment that can detect parts per trillion.

When regulations contain flat statements like "zero",
while the practical definition of "zero" is "below the
threshold of detection", each new wave of shiny toys
brings a risk of additional "scares" like this one.

When "zero" is a moving target, "zero" is clearly not
zero, and anyone saying "zero" is misleading the public.

I would guess that the next big "honey scare" will be
an environmental contaminant.  The new gear is capable
of detecting the "residue" of such pollution in honey
made from nectar gathered from plants in a polluted area.

At what point does everyone admit that NO agricultural
crop can be "pure" at the level of "parts-per-trillion"?
At what point does everyone calm down and admit that,
except for radioactive elements, none of it matters?

And why is honey examined so intently in regard to
"purity", when other foods that make up a much larger
portion of people's diets are ignored?

                jim