From:
Bob & Liz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Mar 2001 23:53:31 -0600
Hello Ken & All,
Thanks for sharing your observations. Because you used Apistan to keep your
Russians alive the question is still. *Can they survive varroa without
chemical treatments*.   I have not talked to one beekeeper with Russian
queens not using a chemical treatment.   They all treat as Ken did because I
suppose they don't want to risk a loss at the start.   Lets pull a few off
chemicals this fall and see what happens.
Back when tracheal mites were doing the most damage I would ask beekeepers
about their methods.  Many would say they went to Buckfast bees and solved
the problem.  No more treatments I asked?   No we still use menthol.   How
do you know they are resistant to tracheal mites if you still treat I asked?
"We treat because we don't want to take a chance on losing hives was the
answer."

I am pleased Ken has had success with at least the start of the project.   I
hope the Russian line is our answer for the future but I need to see the
proof. Hopefully this winter will tell the story.   Are there beekeepers on
Bee-L which overwintered the Russians without any chemical treatments?.
Ok.  Now like HIP says lets see if they will make the second winter.
Sincerely,
Bob Harrison
Odessa, Missouri