Date:
Wed, 10 Dec 2008 15:00:34 GMT
>Are all ferals doomed?

No.  While there will always be a potential debate about the origin of the feral (some pre-existing genetic group vs. beekeeeper swarms) colonies, my feral removal activity is increasing every year.  Some of it has to do with a growing reputation ("My son-in-law said you did a nice job removing his bees.  Can you please come and remove mine?") but I do notice significantly more bees on wild flowers where ever I go in my area.

With the media coverage of CCD, there is more interest in hobby beekeeping but I do believe the feral population is growing and starting to stabilize in pocket areas.  I say this because I can split up "my territory" into smaller regions based on what kind of colonies I've collected there.  Some regions have very healthy, vigrant feral bees.  Others have colonies that are barely hanging on (delta wings on adult bees, young bees on the comb with shriveled wings etc.)

The feral population does not exist in a bell jar.  Feral virgins mate with drones from managed colonies as well as feral ones.  If beekeepers use "resistant" queens their genetics enter the feral pool and the natural selection process without treatments.  Nature should be a better selector for survival than just about any beekeeper since "management and subjective selection criteria" do not come into play.  This may be at a price in honey production perhaps (a key selection criterium for beekeepers).

>Are pollination services in greater demand?

I can't say.  Some owners will pay for pollination.  Others say "I have some 10 acres in pumpkins and you can keep your bees on the edge of my field year round for free."  I stay away from pollination.  Have seen too many hives weakened by being too close to ag insecticides.

I also am not sure pumpkins benefit from having additional hives brought in since the local farmers sell pumkins mostly for fall decorating.  Pumpkins are sold per unit, not per pound.  We have healthy bumble bee population and I always see honey bees in the blossoms.

I also raise some pumpkins for family use (both the meat and the seeds) and think better pollination [with honey bees for instances] helps with the fruit size and the number of seeds.

Waldemar