From:
Bill Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jul 1998 13:09:21 +0100
Dear Learned Friends & Fellow Beekepers,

As a beginner to bee-keeping I am writing seeking further information and
reassurance on the subject of allergic reactions to bee stings.

Having completed a Beginners Course over the winter months through the
local BKA, I now have 3 colonies of bees in Nationals in my home garden.

Before acquiring any bees, I was stung once on the hand by a colleague's
bees and with the exception of the initial pain, there was no other
reaction - within a couple of hours there was no visual evidence or
discomfort.

Since then, I have been stung about 15 times (within about 3 months).
With the first of these stings (5 to 10), the reaction was the same i.e.
there was none.

However, in the last week I have been stung 3 times (on separate days),
once on the thigh, once on the back of my hand in the soft fleshy bit
between finger and thumb and lastly on the arm.  On each occasion, I have
developed inflammation and swelling which appears to be worse on each
occasion than the one previous.

After the initial sting, a small raised "doughnut" appears around the
sting, which disappaears within a couple of hours.  Then the area swells
and is inflamed and this condition remains for 2 to 3 days.

Is this condition normal or is it possible that I am developing an allergy
to bee stings?  What is the most appropriate action to take?  Is it
possible that this could develop into a severe allergy and the risk of
anaphylactic shock?

Unfortunately, the literature I have available describes the possible
reactions to bee stings and the risk in a few people of severe allergies,
but not the circumstances I describe above, where I originally suffered no
reaction but now do.

I guess what I'm looking for is advice and reassurance, because the last
thing I wish to do is give up this fabulous hobby.

Bill Parker
Adstock, Buckingham, Bucks, UK