From:
Robin Wells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 May 1996 10:28:35 -0400
David Eyre wrote:

>            In future I will keep my mouth shut. I put that post as a helpful
> hint,not virus paranoia, and all I got back was abuse, your's was the only
> rational comment.
>         I don't have time to sit and watch the mail come in. I switch it on
> and walk away, when I came back there were two un-solicited files on my hard
> drive. Because I have two companies records and 3 years data, I don't open
> strange files without running a virus check first. When Norton had a look it
> reported a virus!! I certainly didn't open and examine those files, I just
> deleted them.
>         Now I have a problem, as a fair minded citizen, should I report it,
> or just ignore it? Perhaps it would have been better to ignore it, that's
> what will happen in future!!
>         Perhaps, when a few hard drives have been trashed, and valuable data
> lost,as happened to a friend of mine, we might decide that public dispersal
> of un-solicited files should be a no -no on the BEE-L.

David,

I am not certain why Norton Anti-Virus showed up positive, unless we are talking about two different files mine did not.

At any rate, I think you are correct in reporting the issue.  If you still can get the files I would suggest rescanning them agian, and
if they still show positive sent them to Symantic at http://www.symantic.com.  They have on their site a location to uploaded infected
files.  They will perform the necessary tests, and if in fact there is no virus but Norton is reporting it then perhaps they will
fix their programme.  If there is some kind of a problem they will let you know.

Don't get discouraged by a few comments, most of the people are well meaning I think, it is difficult to detect actual intent from e-mail.
I doubt any of them were intended to be abusive in nature, likely most were intended to be helpful.  Unfortuantely due to the nature
of e-mail you can not detect the intended nature of the comment.

Like I said, it is best to always involve Symantic in the discussion.  If they in fact said it is a virus of some sort, then I doubt
any body will dispute it.  When you get back your reply from Symantic, which is very fast and professional; and in no way will cut
you down; then simply include it in your note to the mailing list.  Anybody that tries to dispute Symantic would be a fool, and most
realise that.

By the way, do you have any queens for sale and what is the price?  I need about 2 in a week, 6 in about 2 weeks, and perhaps 3-6 more a week
after that.

Thanks.

--
http://www.jenera.com