Date:
Sat, 12 Feb 2011 17:35:27 -0500
I don't know for sure, but I was discussing this in the fall, and was told that Ursula at Medivet had taken on the expense and that it was just a matter of time.

Medhat reads BEE-L sometimes and would know as well as anyone what the current status is.  Maybe he will comment or someone will inform me.

As for the status in the USA, Bill Ruzicka posted here earlier and he has done a lot of work in the US giving seminars and clarifying regulations and trying to overcome the lobbying by interests which would prefer to see beekeepers restricted to treatments which make profits for them.  He lists the USDA as one of those interests.

US beekeepers find themselves in the odd position of financing research into feeds and treatments and then having the treatment details sold to private interests which sell the products back to the beekeeper at prices as high as the traffic will bear, and with the USDA's implicit endorsement.  At one time, these results were published into the private domain for use by all, but now they are owned by firms which prefer to maximize profits over providing the products so cheaply that they are used widely and provide maximum benefit to society.

For those who do not understand the math, and why some of us are so disturbed by this trend, it is simple.  Many companies would rather sell 100,000 strips at $1 profit each than 200,000 strips at $0.50 each or 300,000 strips at a profit of $0.333 each.  As taxpayers and consumers, we do not begrudge the companies a reasonable profit, but we do prefer to see the maximum volume and benefit achieved.  There are exceptions.  Some companies drive prices down and try to maximize benefit and cost-effectiveness for customers.  I think we all know examples of each.

I recommend that everyone in the US visit Bill's page on the US usage question and/or call him.  He loves to talk.
http://www.mitegone.com/pdfpages/Formic%20Acid%20and%20MG%20in%20USA.pdf