From:
Jon Bucher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Aug 2014 09:05:43 -0400
Charles,

I admire the contributors to B-L. I've read most of your posts for the last little while. Peter Borst seems diligent, sincere and worthy to me. Randy Oliver, is, if anyone is, my mentor. I've read ALL of Scientific Beekeeping. Management  in my colonies  is per the Big "O.".

I Have a passing familiarity with cellular metabolism and clinical nutrition. I sold TPN for the world's largest hospital supply company in joint venture with the worlds largest food company. Baxter and Nestles'. I was nominated by Nancy Fong RD/LD to the ADA Through the CE office of LBJ Hospital, Houston, TX. Based on a degree in biochemistry, membership in ASPEN, and career experience, I was certified by the Texas Board of Professional Licensing to lecture for CMEU's in the field of hyperalimentation. If you're impressed, don't be. Nancy was a co-worker (enteral sales) who wanted me pimp the product line for our financial benefit. I did that.

In my own opinion, I know enough to learn from others. I aint no Stan Dudrick.

Humans do better eating food than receiving IV nutrition. Bee physiology is radically different. We don't know what we need to know about human metabolism. We've only recently begun to investigate the bee in a serious scientific manner.

I guess it struck me that in feeding bees things would turn out so counter intuitive.

"Balance?" Me too. I will grow to 60 hives in three years. I like my bees. But, I am not running a retirement home for bees. I am the only person here who is retired. My bees have to pull their own weight. I hope to generate discussion along the lines I read in Randy's pragmatic approach to management.

Thank you for your efforts in that vein.

sincerely-Jon B