From:
charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Sep 2014 12:07:33 -0500
>how and why do we let the term Locally
> adapted into our vocabulary when we cannot define it or show it??

We start by properly defining terms.  There has been a lot of confusion on
this thread about the difference between behavioral plasticity and
adaptation.

I am starting to see a huge issue here.  In just terminology. ( one of the
reasons Websters exist)
It seems the biological community has allowed the term to well, Adapt.  The
problem lies in things when they leave here.   It seems a lot of (to quote
Christine) "Locally adapted" bees are being sold.  With no reference data or
disclaimer.

I understand the issue of when is it adapted?  How many generations?? Etc.
How do we address the propagation of sales literature which is totally
inaccurate? Already a lot of local groups using the term to describe things
which are totally inaccurate and misleading.  The more we support that the
less likely we are to get to real solutions.

And  elephants adapting into mammoths, is not correct.  Obviously
genetically they are related.  What that claim is doing is a huge stretch in
the word adapting!  Seems to me that if it takes 500 years and multiple
generations,  its not adapting at all.  You can use the term evolution. But
not adaptation.   If it could be done in a lifetime,  someone would....
imagine the zoo revenues!

Interesting conversation  understanding a lot more about the use,  and
misuse of the word.