From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Nov 2016 13:24:33 -0800

> >So how do we as a group of beekeepers present a united front on what are
> priorities?

I'm in complete agreement with you Charlie.  I find researchers working on
projects, completely unaware of others working along the same line.  These
independent avenues of research of course could be of value, but I do feel
that a more directed overall cooperation and guidance would be of benefit
in the spending of limited funds.

I often see proposals that would easily consume most or all of PAm's or
CSBA's research fund each year, but would have extremely limited or zero
practical application to beekeepers.

But you and I are hardly the only ones to raise this issue.  There is a
meeting of invited beekeepers and researchers next week to try to create
such direction for funding of USDA dollars.  The NHB recently decided to
give their dollars to PAm for such direction, and PAm is in the middle of
coming up with a new game plan.

And one of my pet peeves is the focus of researchers nowadays on molecular
biology.  There are still a ton of practical questions that can be answered
without using any high tech equipment or training.  The ARS is in position
to perform such research, and could really use better direction (and
leadership in some labs).

Again, if members of the List wish to send me their pinpointed practical
questions that they think that a researcher could answer, please email me
by Sunday.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

--
Randy Oliver