From:
P-O Gustafsson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Oct 1998 19:53:09 +0100
> How many Ross Rounds can you put on one hive ? what is the best method ? one
> deep ? then the R/R ? I have a few R/R supers around but never had any luck
> getting them to fill them out. I know they work but what is the best method
> ? and the best time to put them on. ? Want to use them for next season.

Here comes my experience from lat. 60 north, others I'm sure have different
stories on the subject.

This is not as easy as it looks. There is a problem involved with comb honey
production in RR boxes, and it is swarming. Unless you have a really super flow
going on (when everything works) you will have to "force" the bees to work in
those plastic holders. And that means you will have to take all other supers
away
so they have no alternative....  Killion has written a book about the subject, I

think it's called Honey in the Comb, where he describes the way to use RR supers

in a large scale. Don't know if that book is still available.

In short, the trick is to combine it with requeening. With a new young queen the

bees will accept to be pushed down on a few RR supers without triggering the
swarming. And yes, you will need to push them down on one brood box, otherwise
you will end up with too much honey in the second brood box. I have tried it
but given it up when the amount of honey I get is considerably smaller than with

std procedure (extracting) and I don't get double price for comb honey. My
experience is that I get half the crop with RR boxes compared to std supers
if I want the RR boxes drawn out and filled properly. When I just put them
on a strong hive with other drawn out combs the bees will not fill all sections
and I end up with plenty of half filled sections that will crystallize before I
can
get them out next season.

--
Regards