Date:
Sun, 23 Dec 2012 07:05:26 -0700
 > The simplest wrap I learned from David Vanderdusen (Canada ) years
ago. He
 > wrapped around and across the top with tar paper but used straw over
the top
 > of the hives on the pallet. The straw absorbs the moisture as the
moisture
 > rises. through the hole in the inner cover. He did not use lids and
only inner cover if I remember correctly. . About six
 > inches of straw under a tied cover of tar paper.

This has been a recommended method for a long time and appeared in
various books in the last century.  More recently, I noticed that David
moved to plastic wraps similar to the ones I designed and used before I
went to EPS boxes and he offers them for sale on his website, at least
the last time I looked.

Here is how I made them:
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/articles/Making%20Winter%20Wraps.pdf
(Article published on web by Bee Culture)

Tar paper and straw do work, but the word 'straw' covers a lot of
material, and I have no idea which straw works best.  Some is
absorptive, some repels water.  Some is soft and short, some is hard and
long.  Moreover, straw can be hard to find and uncomfortable to handle.
Most of us use more modern insulation materials and black plastic in
place of tar paper these days, as they repel water better, are more
flexible, longer-lasting and generally nicer to handle.

To get back on the topic, I looked up some of the reference material and
suggest this page http://capabees.org/home/?p=63
For indoor wintering, generous air space, steady, controlled airflow and
absolute darkness -- not even a pinhole -- are critical.

For outdoors, the main thing to know, other than to have an open upper
entrance and no other cracks above the floor is that the insulation
placed on top of the hive for outdoor wintering in the north is very
important, even though there is an open top entrance, and should be R10
or more.  The side insulation is less essential, but a wind barrier and
dark colour assist in moderating the temperatures inside.

Here are links to a series of articles I wrote years ago for Bee Culture.
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/articles/Wintering%20-%20Part%201.pdf
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/articles/Wintering%20-%20Part%202.pdf
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/articles/Wintering%20-%20Part%203.pdf
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/articles/Wintering%20-%20Part%204.pdf

Here is my most recent article before I went to EPS boxes:
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/articles/WrappingJan2010.htm