Date:
Wed, 16 Jun 1999 08:30:03 -0500
[log in to unmask] wrote:

> When moving a colony, unless it is in the early spring and there is not much
> honey left, I get a helper.

I found a method for lifting hives that may be very beneficial to anyone with
access to a tractor having a hydraulically operated three point hitch. Many
small farm tractors have this hitch as standard equipment. I found an
inexpensive platform type loader at a tractor supply store for about $50 that
fits standard catergory one, three point hitches. Add a 3/4 inch thick plywood
floor and front and the platform becomes an excellent hive loader. Just back up
to the hive, lower the platform, slide the hive on, lift it gently up, then
haul it to the new location. To reset the hive, back up to the hive stand,
lower it, slide it off and the work is done.

I can move a 180 pound hive alone by using this equipment to do the actual
lifting. I only have to provide the force necessary to slide the hive on and
off the platform. This sliding force is only a fraction of the total hive
weight. I position the platform a bit lower than the hive base for loading and
a bit higher for unloading. Bees react very favorably to gentle handling with
this loading method. I usually don't have to close the entrance for a short
move.

This information should be useful to those with lifting limitations and to
those who want to more safely handle hives. Contact me for more detail.

Wade
--
Web:  http://www.honeyhillfarm.com
Mail:  [log in to unmask]