From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Jun 2008 21:07:33 -0500
Hello Brian & All,

The
> Russian hives look better then anything hands down. I'm pulling more brood
> out this weekend for
> mating nucs to make up more nucs for over wintering.

My Italians have been supered for a month. One of my favorite O.B. Wiser
columns was about O.B. and the beekeeper down the road. O.B. was installing
supers and the other beekeeper was just starting to do his spring work.

> They seem resistant to nosema,

I hope they are but the researchers I have spoken with say all races are
susceptible to nosema ceranae. I fought nosema ceranae in most yards
including my Russians.

>and have documented resistance to tracheal and varroa.

My observations:

Once a few years ago I sampled fifty Russian hives for TM and the lab turned
up a single TM. The lab called to see what was different as they always turn
up TM in my Italian samples.

My research showed me that the Russian bee could handle a fairly high varroa
load but I was more impressed with the way the Russian bee had almost no
virus and almost always raised a queen when they swarm.

I found when the Russian/Russian genetics fade the varroa and virus
tolerance fades. I also found the Russian/Russian does best in a yard by
itself. Some lines keep too small a cluster to winter in Missouri unless the
bees are put on a strong fall flow (what I do). Some Russian bees are slow
to take pollen patties (but not all lines).

My current use for the Russians is too not treat in fall and produce a fall
wildflower crop in the blackwater river bottoms. Blackwater river bottoms
flooding tonight. By fall if dry will be solid wildflowers for a 1000 acres
at my apairy locations.

My Italians and carniolans are going to need treatment this fall so can not
use those bees.

I will let the Russian bees go as long as I can before treating. Maybe the
Russians will be able to go untreated . time will tell the story. In any
case the new Russian bees will be able to fill a need my other bees can't.

bob