From:
Milt Lathan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Sep 2001 13:15:12 -0400
I think most folks on this list know the story of the introduction of
these bees into the Americas.  It is the number of generations since that
release that lead me to doubt that these are the "same" as African bees.

   I don't see much on the list about what I HEAR is the most disturbing
behavior of AHB and that is a strong tendency to swarm.  Is 'The Learning
Channel' wrong?  Seems to me that this characteristic would make the bees
less profitable due to extra swarm prevention labor/manipulations.   And
swarming could also prove to be a real danger to the public.  For years I
have explained to friends that a swarm is nothing to fear - I shudder to
think of an unprotected person examining a wild hive thinking a normal
swarm has moved into an out-building or piece of machinery.

   I assume Southern beekeepers are taking more care in capturing swarms
nowadays - correct?