From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Mar 2009 20:48:49 -0500
> He's using the liquid nitrogen test. This isn't available to most
> beekeepers. What do people think of the pin prick method of detecting/
> evaluating
> hygienic behavior?

The pin prick method is not near the level of the nitrogen test ( having
done both). With the pin prick you may not always kill the larva and if not
careful will stab the larva on the other side of the frame.

You can get a nitrogen bottle from most gas suppliers . comes with a valve.
Cut a piece of 3 or 4 inch PVC. freeze the brood in the circle and then see
how fast it takes the bees to remove. I describe the procedure( with
pictures)  in a BEe Culture article in January of 200? some years ago.

Simple to do but you need to be careful with the freezing nitrogen. (
fingers & skin)

bob