Date:
Thu, 26 Jul 2018 09:53:14 -0400
> Just to take one example of what a mild selective breeding program can achieve consider the U or Wisc experiments as reported in "ABC and XYZ of Bee Culture, Copyright 1972, page 96.  More than doubling the per hive honey production in five years does not sound shabby to me.  This experiment did not use fancy outside genetics, artificial queen insemination or anything to do with DNA measurements, yet accomplished quite significant yield improvements  with only a small number of hives.

Fair enough. Looking over the posts on this topic over the past decade, it looks as if we are covering a lot of the same ground as we have done. My memory is not what it once was (and never was all that great) so I personally apologize for repetition and redundancy. I hope future generations will look back on these archives and feel that we at least tried to set the records straight. Thanks!

Peter Borst
Ithaca, NY  USA