From:
Joe Hemmens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Nov 1996 11:05:26 +0000
Dear Beekeepers

I have a very interesting booklet by Robin Dartington called 'New
Beekeeping in a Long Deep Hive'.  He describes the design and
management of a hive based on 14" x 12" frames.

However his management technique uses vertical supering which to my
mind rather spoils the simplicity offered by long hives.

Root's ABC & XYZ is very dismissive of the notion of bees storing
honey horizontally -

'They have the same fault (as top bar hives) in that bees do not care
to expand their brood nests sideways;  it is natural for the pollen
and honey to be above the brood and for the nest to move in an upward
direction.'

And -

'...but in practice colonies in such hives never build large populations
or store too much honey'.

I would like to try a long hive but I have been dissuaded by such
comments.  Is it possible to obtain good crops from horizontal hives
(without vertical supering)?

Best wishes

Joe