From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 May 2014 23:22:22 -0400
> all his colonies in his bee yard
> become much more aggressive
> during this season, in comparison
> to last year. He would like to know the reason.

I had that happen in a yard one spring too.
It turned out to be a skunk that had developed a taste for bees, and must
have brought along her whole family, and the neighbors from the den down the
hill.

The key clue was scratch marks at hive entrances.
The solution was carpet tack strips, placed pointy side up, and stapled to
the leading edge of the bottom boards just below the entrance.  Those with
the non-palletized bottom boards that jut out would want to staple the
strips in front of the entrance on the landing board area.  Entrance
reducers can also help, but they will need a wood screw to keep them in
place.  I like drilling and screwing from the sides through the bottom board
vertical component upon which the bottom box sits.  Drill first, or you'll
spilt the wood.

I also made a point to bring the dogs along, and they marked the edges of
the beeyard, as dogs tend to do, which is a big deterrent to critters.