From:
Peter Dalby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Sep 1998 21:22:48 +0100
-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Spiekhout <[log in to unmask]>
>I need help!
>Is bee space supposed to be on the top or bottom?
>How do I get the bees to draw out the comb?
>I'm new but I am learning.
> Thanks
>Richard

In answer to your questions.  It really does not matter where your bee space
is as long as it is consistent thoughout your equipment.   That is all your
equipment is top bee space or all your equipment is bottom bee space.  It
does tend to vary according to the hive type and original manufacturer.  In
the UK there is considerable controversy amongst beekeepers as towhich is
best and both types are in use.

To get bees to draw out comb you need to make sure you do not have too wide
a space between the frames as the bees will build an extra sheet of brace
comb between them.   The bees will build comb most readily when there is a
nectar flow or ready source of feed around.  Number of frames in boxes again
depends on your hive type.

Peter Dalby, England>