From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Dec 2005 08:22:27 -0600
Hello Michael & All,
My favorite nosema story is from the late Richard Taylor. Richard kept
saying as Michael Palmer says and then one winter he was wiped out from
nosema. All of the readers of Richard's column remember the nosema problem
from his Bee Culture column.

Michael from his post is not checking nosema levels in his bees (exactly
like Richard ).

I might add without the use of fumidil nosema would be a huge problem for
the commercial beekeeper worldwide without a easy solution. Nosema kills
bees in the last two weeks of their foraging lives. What is the cost in lost
honey production?

Many commercial beekeepers treat spring & fall with fumidil. I do not but I
monitor levels and treat if needed.

Giuseppe is a commercial beekeeper in Italy running around a thousand hives.
Letting the bees die down to those which survive is not the best idea from
my view point.

I suggested he test to make sure nosema was the problem and what strain. I
then suggested he test the nosema to see if resistant to fumidil. If not
resistant to fumidil then Giuseppe can control the problem (hopefully) for
next season.

His next step would be to bring in queens from a known nosema resistant line
or set a small yard of his bees aside and bred from the nosema survivors.

I personally would bring in new genetics due to the size of the problem.

I would not depopulate hives and treat equipment except as a last resort due
to cost in labor and lost production.

I believe my advice is sound in Giuseppe's case.

Especially if Giuseppe is not a queen breeder. He needs to move past the
nosema problem as fast as he can.

Bob