From:
Murray McGregor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Nov 1997 08:37:24 +0000
In article <[log in to unmask]>, Edward A Craft
Jr <[log in to unmask]> writes
>  I was out making splits today. I ran across a hive with 2 queens.
>Both of them were on the same frame. I've never seen this before.
>Can anyone explain how this could happen ?
>          Thanks
>                Ed
>

>Ed Craft
>14887 Oldham Dr
>Orlando, FL 32826
Dear Ed,

This situation, apparently contrary to normal rules, occurs in our hives
with surprising regularity. We find it several times each year.

With us it happens during natural supercedure. Not only during the
obvious case of the old queen and the virgin being there, but when the
old and young queens are laying together. This seems to last for a
indeterminate period, usually only a few days, but occasionally weeks,
and, very rarely, longer. A relatively sparse or spotty pattern of
mature brood, with a vigourous pattern of fresh laying (a new queens
first flush of laying often even looks as if the eggs are larger than
normal), is a good indicator of this situation, especially in the
presence of a relatively recent hatched queen cell.

Because of the number we see each year, and the normally short period it
exists for, we can only assume that it is commonplace in supercedure
situations. Because of the number of colonies we operate, we see each
hive at best every 10 days or so, so if the situation existed for say 3
days it would be a fairly safe bet that it happens at least 3 times as
often as we see it. Relatively few of our colonies supercede each year,
certainly under 10%, so it may possibly happen in quite a high
proportion of these. There is a logic to it; why bump off the mother
until you know if the young one is good.

We do sometimes find that the old queen dies naturally before the young
one lays, so it is obviously not a universal occurence. I have never
read up on the subject and indeed do not have time to do much of that;
this is just our experience.

Hope this helps

--
Murray McGregor, Denrosa, Scotland