From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Aug 2011 22:29:54 -0400
> I note that the measurements were only taken over one summer.  I have seen other work that also is on this short time frame.

In the life of a colony, a whole season is adequate to determine if there is a significant effect, IMHO. The mites are pretty dormant over winter, but the following spring the colonies could be all over the map, due to factors unrelated to mites. You sort of have to start with a baseline of equal colonies in spring.

> I note it says they measured mite loads but there is no reference to reproduction in the cells.

If the mites can't reproduce, they quickly die off. If they are building up at the same rate as the other hives, one can reasonably assume that they are reproducing normally and will continue to do so. I think you are throwing in some red herrings. Tom Seeley clearly states he was *hoping* it would work but it flat didn't do the job.

PLB