Date:
Tue, 19 Jun 2012 21:52:49 -0400
Seems like they fly to and from whatever is providing nectar and  pollen.

Our own trials years ago showed that flight speed over a 2  mile course (4
mile round trip) was not significantly faster for  bees flying to the floral
source compared to bees returning with  pollen and nectar from the food
sources.  They are such strong enough  fliers, LOAD didn't make much
difference; so I'm skeptical of an uphill  versus downhill effect.

I do know that WIND presents a challenge to forager bees, as does heavy
rain.  Windy sites have reduced flight hours as evidenced by our
bidirectional bee counters.  As I've said before, simply facing the hive  entrance
towards the sunrise will change time of initiation of foraging by  approximately
30 minutes to one hour compared to bees from hives facing away  from the
sun.  Same is not true at dusk.  They all come home about the  same time.

Jerry