Date:
Tue, 28 Jan 1997 08:21:00 -0600
>Exactly what I am talking about. To measure the efficacy of a Varroa
>control there must be a way of assaying the Varroa population; waiting
>for the colony to die or not seems a little harsh and does not prove the
>point, using a fluvalinate will spoil the trial unless you have loads of
>colonies, lots of time and like statistics. The later is the only
>indicator I know.
>>  Beekeepers only want healthy colonies.
>Without doubt.
>
>Regards
>--
>Dave Black
><http://www.guildford.ac.uk/beehive>,
>Guildford, GU1 4RN.  UK.

Dave,

There are ways of getting pretty accurate guesstimates of varroa
infestation levels without using chemicals:  Natural drop on sticky boards
would be one way.   I beleive, ether roll as a percentage of colony
population times 5 (for 20% being exposed) would be more accurate.
Thirdly, I'm sure you could accertain fair comparative measurements from
trapping (using consistant aged drone brood as the trap).

With consistant formulas and an unstanding that you are looking for
comparisons as opposed to accurate numbers, surely you can test resistance
or efficacy of various methods without terminating the test or the bees.

Good luck,
Ed Levi
AR, US