From:
michael Bassett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Apr 2000 08:26:27 -0400
On Sun, 16 Apr 2000 07:59:37 EDT, John Mitchell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>   In discussions I had a month ago with a Massachusetts Pesticide Board
>spokesperson concerning the possiblity of spraying malathion to control
>mosquitoes later this year, I quickly hit a wall when that person said,
'When
>it comes to the health of honey bees versus the health of humans (to
control
>West Nile virus, which lives in mosquitoes), we'll choose human health
every
>time.'

Maybe taking a different approach would work. I don't spray Malathion but
for instance does the label have a re-entrace time or time you can't eat the
food sprayed with the chemical.  What I'm getting at is which is more
harmful to the humans, getting sprayed and eating a chemical that the label
says is harmful because the state elects to spray during the day instead
of at night when less people are out side.  Maybe getting the local
farmers going because if the label says they can't sell their crops for
x # of days after spraying and letting them know some how this information
will get in the newspaper.

I know when Massachusetts sprayed for Gypsy moths years ago they sprayed
kids waiting for the school bus and they all ended up in the hospital
and that curtailed the spraing when it hit the media.

 If the direct approaches don't work got to go the back door     mike