From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 29 May 1996 13:14:54 -0600
> >>2. Has anyone come up with a convenient small dispenser -- sort of
> >>like the old ant traps?  We will need to make manyl hundreds, so
> >>things like jars are a little awkward, and breakable.
>
>    John Taylor replied:
>
> >This may not go a long way toward evironmentally friendly . . . how
> >about plastic 35mm film canisters?  They will hold an ounce or two,
> >holes are easily made, water resistant and won't shatter.  You
> >should be able to get them from a film developer.

>    However, they are relatively indestructable and hardly
>    "environmentally
> friendly."  Perhaps they should be fastened to the bottom board and
> moved with the hives.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I've been thinking, and the idea of
leaves got me thinking about a little packet of 2 or three inch
squares of sheet plastic stapled on each corner and thrown under the
pallets.

Ants could get access -- but bees couldn't, water would not likely
bother them much, and they would disintegrate over ten or so years
-- most untreated plastics fall apart quite quickly in the sun.

 What do y'all think?

Regards

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                                         VE6CFK
RR#1, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada T0M 1Y0
Internet:[log in to unmask] & [log in to unmask]
Honey. Bees, & Art <http://www.internode.net/~allend/>