From:
Phil Veldhuis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Dec 1994 14:36:06 -0600
Well, for one, beeswax was used as an insulator in electrical components
in WWII era aircraft, especially bombers and gliders (which weren't build
to last if you get my drift).  I guess that the wires were dipped in wax
to coat them.  I don't know if this was done for any reason besides
shortage of rubber or speed of application.

I think this was especially true of British and Canadian build planes
rather than American, but I don't have any hard data.

For two, wooden utensils in countrys where such are popular, especially
wooden bowls, are coated with what I was told was beeswax.  It was a very
heard finish, I suspect that the wooden-ware was boiled in the wax.

This second use is merely heresay, but it would be an old practice, if
it is correlated with the use of wooden eating utensils.

Phil.

BTW, I think that if a person couldn't afford iron armor, then they might
not have been able to afford beeswax either.  Also, in a real hand-to-hand
situation, rather than play fighting, you are more concerned with cuts
then with blows (both hurt, one kills).  I'm not sure that stiffness would
be a virtue in leather armor anyway, it would be more effective to sew on
bits of iron or other material that would provide some protection from
sharp edges (see forinstance the leather with iron rings jacket worn by
Kevin costner in Robin Hood (also by a young man down the street from me).

--
------------oooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooo-------------
Phil Veldhuis           |  "if something is not worth doing,