Date:
Sat, 25 Oct 2008 06:49:40 -0700
This is my first year with bees started from packages.  They were originally Buckfast bees started on 4.9 foundation which they drew out fine.  I have had a few hive beetles (most I've seen is less than 10 in a hive).  I had to requeen this fall both hives which I did with queens from Dan Purvis.  The colonies are very strong with no varoa mites, so far.  There are no signs of noseama or any other diseases.  They have plenty of honey stored and pollen stores.
My question is about treating the bees.  Do you wait 'till you see signs of disease before treating?  I garden organically, so my mindset is I don't want to give them medication if they really don't need it.  How do you make colony decisions about medicating your bees?  I was first wondering about Fumagilin-B, trying to decide if they really need to have it or not this fall.  It is still warm enough for them to be foraging here in central GA.  Can you give me pros and cons and advice please?  What about other medications and treatments.  I did make up sugar/shortening patties to give them.
Roni