From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jan 2002 18:02:20 -0500
Peter Dillon wrote:

> Peter Borst states
> "There is not now and never has been a national policy (let alone
> global) on any of the issues that confront us, like the one in New
> Zealand. It is a past, present and future problem."
>
> Realising that my position is coming from idealistic tendencies.
>
> Is it not normal for other sectors to show co-ordinated organisation
> when they are confronted with levels of difficulties such as those faced
> by apiculture at the present?

The problem, in its most basic terms, is that there are not enough
commercial beekeepers and we are on the periphery of agriculture. In
addition beekeepers either supply a commodity, honey, or a service,
pollination, neither of which has a major in the pocket impact.( The
results of pollination are nice statistics, but someone has to grow it
first and they are the ones who get the money, not the beekeeper.)

And I can attest that as a service group, the pollinators are at the
beck and call of the growers. In essence, beekeeping does not have
clout, even if organized. Too few and the monetary impact is not visible
(except to the beekeeper).

In Maine, our State Beekeeping organization joined with a larger
Association of Ag groups, including the organic people. It looked like
by doing so we would gain clout, but the clout was with the growers,
especially since the pollinators are from out of state. We got nothing
from joining so eventually gave up. I was the one who wanted us to join,
so was disappointed with reality.

I appreciate the intent of a global perspective, but, as I like to say,
all beekeeping is local. I only have to note the difference of opinion
on AFB to know that it would be near impossible to get any global
consensus in beekeeping.

Most of the problems of Beekeeping are currently handled by existing
organizations and by both commercial beekeepers and scientists. There is
a lot going on and it is not on the internet. What the Internet does
best is let us know some of what is happening in those areas. What it
does worst is disseminate opinion or falsehood as fact.

Plus, I do not see the dark clouds and dire straits that seem to be
portrayed. We have gone through a major hit from varroa but are still
standing and many are doing quite well. Pesticide use is going down. I
see fewer posts on kills like we were reading some years back. Mew
marketing strategies for honey are appearing. In all, things look fairly
good to me, which is another reason that a global approach will not
work. You truly need to have all see a common danger or problem to unite
any group, and it is just not there.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine