From:
Grant Gillard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Aug 2009 08:17:58 -0700
Larry Krengel wrote:  "What I have been told is that assessors will allow 3/4 acre of ag for every colony of bees on the property.  (This allotment only makes sense if you are thinking as bureaucrats do.)"

I think (as a beekeeper) that the quantity of owned land required for bees is irrelevant.  People who request my hives on their land want to brag a little, "Well, I  have twelve acres of wooded pasture land and a large garden...."

As if that would sway me.  Then they think I should put the bees right on top of their garden so the bees can find the cucumbers.  This is usually when their spouse gets nervous about this great idea of "saving" the bees.

What I try to explain is that bees will fly 2 miles in search of nectar, the size of their property doesn't matter, and by flying this distance, the bees will actually trespass on their neighbor's property.   Their neighbor will actually glean benefits of pollination for free.  A location with a 2 mile radius covers 8,000 acres.

Size doesn't matter.  What matters to me is if I can place enough hives to justify my visits.  What should matter to the landlord is where the bees are placed (far enough away from home to avoid any defensiveness).  And I also want other family members to be comfortable as well.

I also try and garner vehicle access on a 24/7 basis, though I find it extremely helpful to visit when no one is home.  I have a couple of yards where people will follow me out to the yard and want to look and talk as I open the hives.  Sometimes I have an extra veil for them.  I welcome their interest and curiosity, but it does slow me down.

This is what I call "relational" rent.

Grant
Jackson, MO