From:
"Rees, Simon" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jul 1995 12:01:44 +0000
Hi,

        A Swarm in May is worth a load of hay.
        A Swarm in June is worth a silver spoon.
        A Swarm in July isn't worth a fly.

I believe that this poem is an old English one and aimed to be true rather to
our climate than necessarily to parts of the World with different climates!
It dates, too, from pre-Langsthroth days when a colony would have to be
pretty well destroyed to get at the honey at the end of the year - a colony
providing no honey would not be worth the skep you'd house it in!  My own
(first) nucleus (five frames), installed in Twickenham, England four weeks
ago tomorrow (Weds. 28th. June) should be big enough to survive the winter,
but that's about it - I'll get no honey from it - so the poem's not so far
off the mark for me.  For the record, it cost me twenty-five pounds sterling.

Mind, I'd much rather have it than a fly.

Best wishes

Simon Rees (the bees are doing fine...)