From:
CSlade777 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Apr 1998 17:29:12 EDT
If I didn't already have an extractor I wouldn't buy one.  Without an
extractor you can work for cut comb honey using the most attractive parts of
combs.  You can sell this for much more than extracted honey. The remainder is
crushed and drained/filtered.  Leave the edges of the combs to return to the
hives as starter strips so the process can be repeated.  If your comb is wired
and thus unsuitable for cut comb, scrape it down to the midrib and replace in
the hive.  You will obtain more beeswax from the hive than you would otherwise
but when it is rendered not as much as you would expect.   Wax is a high value
product and part of your legitimate crop as the bees have a biological need to
produce wax when they are about 10 days old.  If the wax scales are not used
they will be discarded so you may as well gain the benefit of their wax making
as well as their honey producing characteristics.
Chris Slade