From:
David Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Oct 1995 23:01:15 -0400
It is with deep disappointment that I inform you that the Boy Scouts of
America declined to reinstate the Beekeeping Merit Badge.  Only 20 or so
letters, and an equal number of telephone calls, were received in support of
the merit badge.  I was disappointed to hear that was such a low response.

The reason for dropping the merit badge was "lack of interest" as measured by
the low numbers of earned badges, 600-800 per year.  Apparently they prefer
merit badges with numbers on the order of 10,000 to 50,000, or more, per
year.  If so few wrote letters of support, then, perhaps there is not
interest even among beekeepers.

Mr. Dalrymple indicated that the committee will meet again in February and
that if letters continue to arrive in support of beekeeping, then they may
re-examine it.  More on that in the future.

I hope that we do, somehow, get it reinstated someday.

David Morris, President
Maryland State Beekeepers Association