From:
Timothy Cote <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Mar 1996 18:01:20 -0500
As a physician/beekeeper of 15 and 4 years, respectively, I was surprised to
learn how few beekeepers have sting kits (specifically, kits containing
injectable epinephrine, the only real emergency therapy for anaphylaxis).
Certainly there exists a definite, albeit small, risk that a visitor the the
apiary is one of those 0.1 - 0.5% of the population that is allergic to bee
stings.

I decided the main reason is probably that it requires a physician's
prescription and getting that can be a bit of a hassle.  While I am licensed
to do general practice, my area of specialty is public health and preventive
medicine.  Therefore, I've decided to purchase the kits in bulk for
prescriptive resale to beekeepers who want them ($25 ea).  They are in no
way a substitute for regular care by an allergist should hypersensitivity be
suspected in the beekeeper or his/her family (and
patients/recepients/purchasers must sign acknowledging this), but rather are
a "first aid" emergency device used for stung persons previously unknown to
be allergic.  Sound practice requires that administration of emergency
epinephrine to allergic individuals be immediatly followed by rapid
transport to medical care.

To steal a phrase from the gun lobby, better to have one and not need it
than the reverse.  Statistically, the chances of dying from a beesting are
much smaller than getting hit by a car on the way to the beeyard.  Still, as
a physician-beekeeper, I'd be foolish not to have treatment on-hand, and
some of you may be concerned about your liablility also.  Aunt Millie lying
on the ground in a white suit is just too frightening an image for my tastes.

I'm doing this as a service to the beekeeping community, and so I'd be
interested in that community's reaction (prepare cudos or flames now).
Apparently, no physician has offered this before.  I've put an ad in -Bee
Culture-.

We'll see what you have to say.

Tim Cote MD MPH
512 Boston Ave